Rekhi_Challenge_Banner.pngSupermileage Facebook Pageblog.pngSupermileage Youtube PageShell Ecomarathon/Supermileage Build SeasonSAE Supermileage Competition

Supermileage Weekly Team Updates


  • HUD code outlined
  • Controller parts ordered
  • New testing plan developed
  • Contacted TI about chip issues for motor controller
  • Researched more on different design plans for motor controller


  • Performed vacuum former testing with Mylar lining
  • Updated former model with fittings and hardware
  • Drive train design decisions made for axle removal type, tubing for forks, and jack shaft
  • Worked on model brake position, axle geometry, fitment of components
  • Worked on design for brake level mounting system


  • RTV attempted on gasket
  • Continued work CAD model of engine mounting
  • New 02 sensor ordered
  • Cylinder sleeve ordered
  • Adjusted reduced displacement design
  • Researched crankshaft balancing

Updated on 11/13/2015

SAE Supermileage Competition Team Summary

Highest Mileage: 793 MPG
Overall Place: 4th
Place for teams only using Junior 206: 1st
Design Review Score: 360/450 (5th)

We started the first day with getting ourselves situated. We spent a couple hours making sure everything ran and getting some minor bugs patched up. We then went to Tech Inspection. This is where everything went wrong. We passed parts of the static inspection, and passed almost all of the dynamic inspection (tilt table, roll bar, visibility, and kill switch inspection).
We had three problems, one for each team:
Fuel System: The head judge was not happy with our pneumatic push to connect fittings as they were not guaranteed to be leak proof. Thus, he required us to encapsulate the entire fuel system. We used fuel line with pipe clamps.
Leg Guards: The front leg guards were WAY too small. We needed almost full encapsulation to prevent driver contact with the wheels.
Electrical: Fuse on the brake lights was on the negative side. Also tightened down some loose wiring.
This took us the remainder of the day, plus about 3 hours after the grounds closed where we were working out of the trailer in the parking lot of the gas station across the street from the hotel (had some friendly truckers talk to us about the car).

During the first day, we also had the verbal design report. We scored full marks on the verbal report, which leaves the deficit of the points (90 points) for the written design review. (One of the judges also thought the huskies were wolves... oops.)

The second day we headed in and got into tech inspection. The head judge approved the changes and we moved into the rest of the dynamic inspections. After a small brush with warm up enrichment on the slalom, we passed the turn test in 2 tries. The brake test took us 4 attempts, mostly just timing. We went straight into our performance runs, and completed 4 runs out of 5. The mileages were (in run order) 540, 703, 793, 763. Our last attempted run was a DNF as our fuel bottle became disconnected from our fuel system and dropped all our fuel out the bottom of the car. Not bad for a team that has the larger engine and two years of being gone from competition.

Also, we had one of the largest cars there, but we rolled farther than almost every team there. We were able to coast from the start of the last turn to the start line consistently, and sometimes halfway through the first turn! That is really impressive for the largest car!

























Recent Videos

Vehicle Vibration Testing

Coasting in the SAE Competition

Hot Swapping IC Engine for Electric Motor Timelapse